The ADHD Weekly Blog from ADHD Experts
- Raising children is not easy. I should know. As a clinical psychologist, I’ve helped parents learn the skills they need to be better parents. And my experience raising three children confirmed my clinical experience. Parenting is a tough job under the best of circumstances but it is even harder if the parent has ADHD. For example, an effective parent establishes rules and enforces them systematically. This requires attention to detail, self-control and good organizational skills. Given Read more
by Lenard A. Adler, MD -Part of the ADHD diagnosis includes gathering information from third parties, such as parents, spouses, family members, teachers, and school reports. Third party input can help corroborate information the clinician collects in determining a diagnosis
by Lenard A. Adler, MD -Breda,V;, Rovaris, DL; Schneider Vitola, E.; et al. Does collateral retrospective information about childhood attention- deficit/hyperactivity disorder symptoms assist in the diagnosis of attention- deficit/hyperactivity disorder in adults? Findings from a large clinical sample. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 1–9, DOI: 10.1177/0004867415609421. Collateral information is commonly used in making the diagnosis of ADHD in a child or adolescent. The role of Read more
by Lenard A. Adler, MD -ADHD in college students is important because college is the first time an ADHD adult is out on his/her own, with the protective oversight of parents. The ASRS screener and 18 point symptom checklist are good ways for students and clinicians to keep track of symptoms and the effects of ADHD medications.
by Lenard A. Adler, MD -Gray et al. (2014), The Adult ADHD Self-Report Scale (ASRS): utility in college students with attention- deficit/hyperactivity disorder. PeerJ 2:e324; DOI 10.7717/peerj.324 There has been ongoing interest in the identification of ADHD in college students; many transitional adults will present with ADHD related symptoms and problems with the transition to post-secondary education and the related demands on attention and executive function. This investigation examined the utility of the Read more
by Lenard A. Adler, MD -Kabul,S; Alatorre,C; Montejano,LB; Farr,AM; Clemow, DB. CNS Neuroscience & Therapeutics 21 (2015) 936–942. This study describes a large prescription database survey of dosing patterns of atmoxetine, between January 2006 and December 2001, in adults with ADHD. 12,412 adults >= 18 y.o. met inclusion criteria of: 1) having at least one claim coded for ADHD, 2) having continuous medical and prescription benefits for the 6 months prior and 12 after the index (initial atomoxetine Read more
by Lenard A. Adler, MD -Ettinger AB1, Ottman R, Lipton RB, Cramer JA, Fanning KM, Reed ML. Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder symptoms in adults with self-reported epilepsy: Results from a national epidemiologic survey of epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2015 Jan 15. doi: 10.1111/epi.12897. [Epub ahead of print] The purpose of this study was to examine symptoms of ADHD and resulting functional consequences in a large community cohort of individuals with epilepsy. There is a somewhat higher rate of ADHD observed in Read moreThis article reviews existing evidence for the use of locomotor activity measures in diagnosing ADHD. The authors conducted a meta-analysis of published studies using motion measures to compare patients with ADHD with controls and then conducted a case control study using the McLean motion activity test (MMAT) on a sample of child, adolescent and adult ADHD patients (N=81) and matched controls (N=91). The meta-analysis procedure involved searching several electronic medical databases and Read more
Regular ADHD Bloggers
- Are Shared Care Models Effective in Treating Childhood ADHD?
- Is There a Relationship Between ADHD and Internet Gaming Disorder?
- To What Extent Does ADHD Affect Sleep in Adults, and In What Ways?
- Is Prenatal Antidepressant Exposure a Risk Factor for ADHD?
- High Dropout Rate in Six-Year Cohort Study of Medication Treatment for ADHD
ADHD Blog Categories