The ADHD Blog from ADHD Experts
- Many media outlets have reported on a study suggesting that mothers who use acetaminophen during pregnancy may put their unborn child at risk for ADHD. Given that acetaminophen is used in many over-the-counter pain killers, correctly reporting such information is crucial. As usual, rather than relying on one study, looking at the big picture using all available studies is best. Because it is not possible to examine this issue with a randomized trial, we must rely on naturalistic Read moreAlthough some people view the impulsivity and inattentiveness of ADHD adults as a normal trait, these symptoms have adverse consequences, which is why doctors consider ADHD to be a disorder. The list of adverse consequences is long and now we can add another: broken bones. A recent study by Komurcu and colleagues examined 40 patients who were seen by doctors because of broken bones and 40 people who had not broken a bone. After measuring ADHD symptoms in these patients, the study found that Read moreADHD stimulant medications can be supplemented with ADHD non-stimulant medications for more tailored effects without increasing identical side effects. This study in guanfacine is an example of a beginning of research for ADHD in Adults.Psychiatry Research 2016 236:136-141. DOI: 10.1016/j.psychres.2015.12.017 “Supplementary guanfacine hydrochloride as a treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in adults: A double blind, placebo-controlled study.” Butterfield ME, Saal J, Young B, Young JI. Guanfacine hydrochloride is a selective alpha-2A partial agonist that is FDA approved for the treatment of ADHD in children and adolescents (see recent reviews by Faraone et al, 2013; Hirota et al, 2014 and Ruggiero et al Read moreAdult Onset ADHD: Does it Exist? Is it Distinct from Youth Onset ADHD? There is a growing interest (and controversy) about ‘adult’ onset ADHD. No current diagnostic system allows for the diagnosis of ADHD in adulthood, yet clinicians sometimes face adults who meet all criteria for ADHD, except for age at onset. Although many of these clinically referred adult onset cases may reflect poor recall, several recent longitudinal population studies have claimed to detect cases of adult onset ADHD Read more
by Joseph Biederman, MD -Is ADHD Always a Childhood Onset Disorder? by Joseph Biederman, MD - August 4, 2016 Recent population based studies raise the intriguing question as to whether adult ADHD is always preceded by childhood onset of symptoms or can develop anew in adult life. From Brazil, one group argues that child and adult ADHD are “distinct syndromes”; from the United Kingdom (UK), another group states that adult ADHD is “more complex than a straightforward continuation of the childhood disorder” and from Read moreAdult Onset ADHD: Does it Exist? Is it Distinct from Youth Onset ADHD? by Stephen V. Faraone, PhD - August 4, 2016 There is a growing interest (and controversy) about ‘adult’ onset ADHD. No current diagnostic system allows for the diagnosis of ADHD in adulthood, yet clinicians sometimes face adults who meet all criteria for ADHD, except for age at onset. Although many of these clinically referred adult onset cases may reflect poor recall, several recent longitudinal population studies Read moreJournal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology. 2014. DOI: 10.1080/15374416.2014.963858 “The Role of Parental ADHD in Sustaining the Effects of a Family-School Intervention for ADHD” Dawson, A.E., Wymbs, B.T., Marshall, S.A., Mautone, J.A., Power, T.J. This paper reports on the extent to which parental ADHD impacts child and parent functional outcomes of a multimodal family-school intervention designed to boost academic performance of 139 school-aged children with Read more
Regular ADHD Bloggers
- What’s the Relationship Between Daytime Sleepiness and Cognitive Functioning in Adults with ADHD?
- ADHD in College Students
- ADHD is Underdiagnosed, to Varying Degrees, Among Adults of Different Ethnicities, Ages, and Education Levels in the U.S.
- How effective are ADHD medications in adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)?
- Addressing the Challenge of Under-Diagnosed Adult ADHD
ADHD Blog Categories
- About ADHD (30)
- ADHD and Comorbidity (36)
- ADHD Demographics (20)
- ADHD Diagnosis (5)
- ADHD Medications (23)
- ADHD Parenting and Family (10)
- ADHD Screening and Diagnosis (6)
- ADHD Symptoms (5)
- ADHD Therapies (13)
- ADHD Treatment (20)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) (1)
- Natural Remedies for ADHD (8)
- Uncategorized (2)